Monday, October 3, 2011

Maki - restaurant review

I think I eat Japanese food more than any other cuisine.  I just can't get enough of it.  I tend to get my Japanese fix at lunchtime, often buying sushi take-out for lunch. Incidentally, did you know the reason sushi from a sandwich chain or a supermarket doesn't tend to be very good? It's because the fridges are set too cold: sushi rice reacts under super-cold temperatures and becomes very dry.  Japanese places tend not to have their fridges as cold, so the sushi rice stays a better texture for longer.

But I digress.  I was just about to tell you that, despite it being a firm favourite, we rarely go out for Japanese in the evening but that looks set to change.  We've been living in leafy Richmond for a few months now and have just happened upon a rather good neighbourhood Japanese restaurant: Maki

The restaurant is decorated in typical Japanese style, in reds and blacks, with a sunken seating area. The service is friendly and attentive, the menu extensive (in a good way) and the prices reasonable.  I won't go into all of the dishes but highlights include the sashimi, which was incredibly fresh, black miso cod (less than half the price of Nobu) and ebi (prawn) tempura rolls.  The only slight disappointment was the gyoza, which had been deep fried.

If you're in the area I highly recommend it for a reasonably priced taste of Japan.



Edamame with plenty of salt, as I like them best


Sashimi bento box

Ebi tempura roll

Salmon sashimi (a little complimentary gift from the chef)


Soft shell crab roll


Maki on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks very much for stopping by. Always love to hear your comments. c