There are loads of different variations on the recipe, some include raisins, others exclude pine nuts. I based mine on this recipe from Delicious magazine but with a few tweaks.
- Good glug of olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 celery sticks chopped
- 1 large, or 2 small aubergines, chopped into small cubes
- 400g tin tomatoes
- 100g green olives
- 2 tbsp capers
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 50g pine nuts
- Handful of fresh basil leaves
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan over a low heat. Add the onions, celery and aubergines and cook gently for at least 20-25 minutes or until the pepper and aubergines are very tender. Don’t allow the mixture to catch on the bottom of the pan. I added a couple of tablespoons of water after about ten mins, to keep the aubergine moist.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and cook for another ten minutes.
- Roughly chop the olives with the capers. Add to the vegetables with the sugar and vinegar, and cook for 15 - 20 minutes, until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in the pine nuts. Cook for a further 5 minutes.
Serve hot or cold, as you prefer.
|Caponata served with toasted ciabatta|