Monday, May 23, 2011

Courgette fritters - recipe

When I was little, I loved Roald Dahl books and the BFG was probably my favourite. If you've read it, you'll remember that the BFG lived on snozzcumbers, which to me sounded pretty much like courgettes.  Mainly because I thought courgettes were vile.

Fast forward a couple of years (/decades) and I actually rather like courgettes.  I was very amused to come across a round courgette in Waitrose (see pic) and had to buy it.

I've made fritters from various other vegetables (potato, sweetcorn, carrot etc) and thought i'd give courgette fritters a go.  Total success, they were amazing.

Ingredients:
2 medium courgettes (definitely don't need to be round!)
1 egg, beaten
Half an onion, finely chopped
2-3 tablespoons flour
Handful of fresh herbs, chopped (I used chives, mint and parsley)
Oil for frying (whichever you prefer to use)

Method:
Grate the courgettes into a large bowl.

Using either kitchen roll, or a clean tea towel, squeeze as much liquid as you can out of them.  Throw the liquid away.

Add the onion, egg, flour and herbs to the drained courgette and mix.

Heat the oil in a frying pan.  These will work better if you add oil to the depth of a cm or so (sorry weight watchers).  When the oil is hot, add a heaped dessert spoon of the courgette mix at a time, lightly pressing down with a spoon to form patties.  Leave to cook on one side for a couple of minutes and then turn over.  Cook for another 2-3 minutes until golden brown.

Drain on kitchen paper before serving - we had ours with ready made sweet chilli sauce.

Voila, snozzcumber fritters.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks very much for stopping by. Always love to hear your comments. c